[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
If you want to look at things from that angle, then we have to make a
split between what the user wants - news, information, entertainment,
etc.
what the commissioner wants,
and what the search engines want.

All sites on the web arguable fall into one of three categories:
Hobby sites,
Businesses,
Promotional sites (for businesses mainly)

Web Apps, Teaching sites, intranets, social networking???

NB The difference between the latter two may not be obvious to the
end-user - it is a business decision made by the owner.

For sites that do fall into the latter category, whether or not they
carry news items, the site is NOT 'about the news' it is about promoting
the larger business.

Clearly every site needs to make the right balance between the needs of
the users, the owners and the search engines, but any suggestion that
this can be covered by a single sweeping, blanket statement is a
surprise from someone with your reputation and experience.
Regards,Mike