what about mobile browsing?

the iphone is having quite the impact on mobile computing and designing to
800x600 is going to mean you're likely making information inaccessible and
un-usable

designing to a screen size is like designing to one browser

my advice -

1. profile your users and know who they are, what they want, what they need,
what their online behaviour

2. turn profile information into functional and non-functional (design)
requirements

3. design to meet those needs

4. validate design solutions with those users

5. re-assess needs on a regular basis