For Mobile Browsing you generally take different approaches altogether,
especially for WebKit powered phones (the iPhone and the to come GPhone).

This is generally because you will be providing completely different
navigational structures and really narrowing down on the most important
features.

Google has "Mobile alternatives" and that is really where developers should
be heading when making web pages for Mobile Browsing.

Im also wondering how is designing to 800x600 going to make information
inaccessible and un-usable?

GMail is designed for 800x600 + and is superbly usable.

- Anton Babushkin