Therefore any current course would include the complete understanding of BOTH current and emerging standards and any good student and practitioner will constantly be remaining aware of progress.

As for web _design_, this ALREADY includes: information architecture, wireframing, user-centred design research and implementation, prototyping accessibility and usability, as well as colour, layout, aesthetics.....

design is not just appearance, it is also engineering, architecture and usability.

On Jun 12, 2008, at 11:10, Theresa Weber wrote:

I disagree - all knowledge that you learn in a course becomes outdated but you gain skills that allow you to continue to learn. Learning how to write valid and accessible HTML is a skill that can be taught and the graduate will then continue to improve and upgrade those skills as newer standards standards are released.

I liked the list that Andreas suggested.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of James Jeffery
Sent: Thursday, 12 June 2008 5:30 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] MA in web development

Personally I would see a course in Web Design pointless.

I am doing Computer Science, but with Computer Science the foundations tend to rarley change. If you set up a Masters in Web Design it's likley it would become invalid after a while, especially when HTML 5 and CSS 3 replace the current HTML and CSS.

If it's purley in design then it should cover usability, accessiblity, aesthetics, design blah blah. The stuff that is unlikley to change.

Personally though I would focus on Computer Science and if i wanted to be good at design take up a course in Art or Graphic Design. At least that way you can use your skills more widely.

James