Well my first thought Marius is why you feel a need for a division between scientific and "artistic"?

Much of web design, website creation, development, whatever you want to call it, I would much more closely describe as something more akin to industrial and or product design, where much more than what happens on the server needs to be addresses.

User-centred design for example starts with lots of study with the userbase in order to discern what people would be expecting from the organisation or campaign and their website. This is a starting point for a website and has nothing to do with marketing and everything to do with creating a useful, usable and successful site.

But this is neither design or "scientific", (although there are things being measured and described here).

As I mentioned earlier, the concepts underpinning web development and design (should I try to coin a new term of web creator?) are not new or time sensitive. HTML 4 and XHTML have been around for many years and will be around for the next 5 for sure and any coder worth hi salt has already started to look at HTML 5 and XHTML 2 and trying to understand how to use it.

User-centred design has been around for decades nd will continue to o so.
Apache isn't a new thing and JS and PHP are long in the tooth
servers aren't going away and people still have expectations at the HCI (Human Computer Interface) which may look a little different, but remain essentially unchanged for the last decade at least.

So, to reiterate, any MA course should provide the tools to "fish" rather than the fish itself and should not allow itself to be providing significant am amounts of training in concepts that will easily age.

Joe