Andrew Cunningham wrote:
> a slight correction: NCRs by definition are always know.

Ah, we seem to actually agree but we're talking about what's known to
different things. Unknown when I used it was in terms of the ability to
render it sucessfully (known to the browser as a whole)  not just in
terms of expressing characters accurately (which seems to be what yours
is "known" to). And as said NCRs for my use are for HTML *and* XML, not
just HTML.

Regarding missing glyph characters like boxes or boxes with
codepages/codepoints or ? ...different platforms and browsers display
different fallbacks. Or as Wikipedia says,

> Systems that do not offer a fallback font typically display black or
> white rectangles, question marks, or nothing at all in place of
> missing characters. Symbols in a fallback font can contain annotations
> such as the relevant Unicode block and the script system used.

Entity errors vs encoding errors like "’" errors are completely
different errors, that was the point -- to contrast two completely
different ways of encoding characters and the errors that result ("’"
vs ? vs missing glyph boxes). I have a slight preference for entities
because they don't tend to get mangled by stupid non-unicode-aware tools
but that's about it.

Cheers :)

--
.Matthew Holloway