Andrew Cunningham wrote:
> LOL, i enjoyed the wording.
>
> Considering the document character set of HTML4 is Unicode, if it
> can't be displayed in UTF-8 in a browser, then it can't be displayed
> using entitiies or NCRs either ;)

Generally I agree, although one good thing about entities (including
NCRs of course) is that it'll typically come up as a "?" when it's
unknown rather than mangled as ’. So it'll break more gracefully.

Also there can be other things involved other than the browser when
writing HTML, such as bad proxies. I can't remember the name of the
software but a few years ago an adblocker proxy that I installed on my
parents machine would break UTF-8 horribly... of course that's the
proxy's fault but entites would work around their bug.

(I don't really have strong opinions either way though)

--
.Matthew Holloway
http://holloway.co.nz/