Hi Tee

Like most things in the law, there's no clear-cut answer to that.

Like the DDA in the UK (as I understand it), it's up to an individual to
make a complaint that they have been discriminated by on the basis of their
disability.  The HREOC guidelines tend to suggest that if you've built your
site to at least WCAG level A you should be fairly safe saying that you've
taken 'reasonable care'. Government websites are required to reach level A -
there's an interesting argument going on at the moment re the new
http://www.grocerychoice.com.au/ website:
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24141741-15319,00.html

William noted that "... for commercial organisations, if they are not
providing a service where they are the sole provider and access point, the
lines get fuzzy on what is and is not disciminatory."  I'm not sure that
he's right in that: there haven't been any cases regarding websites, but
there has been at least one case regarding access to educational services
and the (private) school concerned wasn't sole provider.

Elizabeth Spiegel
Web editing
0409 986 158
GPO Box 729, Hobart TAS 7001