There is a CSS3 profile for the CSS validator, so just switch to that. http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate_by_uri +with_options (choose the profile) Note that much of the CSS3 spec is not stable so many implemented properties use the vendor prefixes (- o-, -webkit-, -moz- for example), and these will not validate. I don't see any harm in using them, as we need usage of these properties to see if the spec and implementations are on the right lines. The only thing would be to make sure that the none-prefixed version is also used so it will work when other browsers add support, and they are used in a way that the page degrades gracefully if there is no support (border-radius degrades gracefully as the user will just get square corners if it isn't supported in their browser.

Opacity is supported by all major browsers (without vendor prefix) except IE. You can use CSS filters in a IE only stylesheet (via conditional comments for example) to add IE support.

There will be no official release of CSS3 as such. It is broken into modules, and each module matures as it is ready. The closest we have is the 2007 profile of CSS, which defines what is ready circa 2007. This is CSS2.1, CSS 3 Namespaces, CSS3 Colour module and CSS3 Selectors. I'd expect CSS3 background and borders and CSS3 Media Queries and perhaps CSS3 Web Fonts to make it in the 2008 version. http://www.w3.org/TR/css-beijing/