Hi

If there is CSS related issue that doesn't seem to want play nice, no matter
what you do, it's probably a rule being set by the browser in its user agent
stylesheet.
In firefox's case, it's in <firefox install dir>/res/forms.css (for forms).
Have
a peek at that stylesheet and you'll see all the rules it applies by default
to forms. If you can't override the rules in that CSS using your own (try
!important) then start Firebug, bring up the rule in the Style tab. In the
'Options >' menu on the right you'll see an item called "Show User Agent CSS"
- check that and you'll see the rules applied by Firefox to the relevant
element.
If the rule is now struck out, then it is being applied. In the case of
legend, the relevant rule is:
white-space : nowrap;

So Ben's suggestion below will override it.

Opera also has it's basic styles available in easy to read format, just search
for them in the opera install dir. Not sure about Safari (I assume they are in
some readable format). For IE, I doubt it.. it's still guesswork. they seem to
be in  a compiled format last time I looked but maybe that has changed.

If all that fails. Set your legend to display : none and stick an h3 or
something inside the fieldset below the legend, works just as well without the
gutache.

HTH
James