2009/1/8 James Jeffery <jamesjeffery....@googlemail.com>

> I'm developing a site. A quote site infact. For the quotes I think it's
> wise to use <blockquote> ... but, the quotes are being scraped from other
> sites so how would I cite them? Could I use a wiki url for the author? And
> what if the author is unknown or has no wiki page.
> Do I *need* to include the cite attribute?

While the cite attribute isn't mandatory, your scenario actually solves its
own problem. You can put in the URL you got the quote from. The cite
attribute is set up for that sort of usage:

"cite = uri [CT]
The value of this attribute is a URI that designates a source document or
message. This attribute is intended to give information about the source
from which the quotation was borrowed."

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.2.2

If you wanted to visibly show the actual author/quote source (ie. who said
it, not where you got it) then you could include the name in a <cite>. eg.

http://www.rtnda.org/pages/media_items/edward-r.-murrow-speech998.php";>

inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to
use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires and lights in a box.
There is a great and perhaps decisive battle to be fought against ignorance,
intolerance and indifference. This weapon of television could be useful.</p>

1958</p>

cheers,

Ben

--
--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not