Yes I don't think this is the place to ask advise on illegal matters. Scraping content from websites that you do not have permission from is copyright infringement. The fact that you don't want to cite the original source inidcates to me that you are building this site for some financial gain - whether that is to get exposure, advertising revenue or other means.

Respect the content owners, ask for their permission to use the content!!

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Dorward" <da...@dorward.me.uk>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Blockquote

James Jeffery wrote:
Thanks for the heads up guys. I know how to use blockquote, that's not an issue, but I'm wondering if using cite would be worth it.

I won't be storing the URL from the original page. If I did citing the orig. page that could get me into a while lot of trouble if I am mirroring/scraping/*stealing* quotes from certain sites. Hence why I do not want to cite the original site.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that your are infringing on copyright and are worried that citing the source will get you caught? If so, you're trying to solve the wrong problem and should be seeking to license the content or otherwise use it within the constraints of the law.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/