Hi Elle,

> title attributes do help SEO and google does find them,

Elle - my specific example showed that your statement above just isn't
true, as I'll explain again below.

> if the word
> appears only once in the page (and especially not in the main text), it is
> quite logical that that page will not come up first on search results.

Yes, that is a factually correct statement, but isn't relevent to the
specific example I gave using Google specific search operators.

I did not do a 'ranking' query. I did a site query looking for two
specific words.

i.e. as Google says:

site: If you include [site:] in your query, Google will restrict the
results to those websites in the given domain.

I.e. by asking site:cogentis.com.au Australian DDA I am asking to see
all pages from the domain cogentis.com.au which include the words
Australian DDA.

One page on the domain includes those keywords on the page in <p> -
the other page (the home page) only includes them in the title
attribute.

Google can't find the words in the title attribute. Why not? Because
it doesn't index words in the title attribute.

Feel free to show me an example using the same methodology, where
Google does index words which only appear in a title attribute.

> Also google does index the keywords and description metatags  -- but because
> they have been abused by black hat SEO, google does not give them as much
> importance in its algorithm anymore.

Ok - no issue with Meta description tag - but again, not true for the
meta Keywords tag in Google.

Again, lets try testing.......

Do a Google search for the made up word pnogiwaz

It appears only in the meta keywords tag on http://www.cogentis.com.au/

But Cogentis doesn't appear in the results?
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=pnogiwaz&hl=en&filter=0

Only pages that have copied/ scraped my content, and included the
contents of my meta keywords in a <p> on their version of my page -
appear in the results.

Alternatively, search using the site operator

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=pnogiwaz+site%3Acogentis.com.au&btnG=Search&meta=

No result.

Again - feel free to give me an example using the same methodology
where a word which only appears in the meta keywords field, and no
where else on the page, is indexed in Google.

In order to show the difference - Yahoo does index meta keywords.

e.g

http://au.search.yahoo.com/search?p=pnogiwaz&fr=yfp-t-501&ei=UTF-8

Best

Chris