On 2/5/09 1:30 PM, "Carolyn Diaz" <carolyn.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know this is an old school type question, but we are very divided about
> this. The people on our usability team are with Nielsen, but others (like me)
> are not so sure. Isn't accessibility to new windows a problem as it changes
> the focus? What do you think?

I think you're better off loading the PDF in the same window. If a user
prefers to load PDFs in another window, it's likely that they want to load
it into Adobe Reader rather than an IE wrapper of the Reader plugin. Users
with that preference can use Reader's accessibility wizard to configure all
PDFs to be opened in Reader.

As far as accessibility is concerned, the big issue with opening new windows
is actually with windows being opened involuntarily, e.g. popups. (Even
then, it's only a Level AAA requirement in WCAG 2.) Using target on links is
not a problem--anymore.

And, what Lachlan said about marking PDF documents as PDFs. :)

-