I have been following this thread with interest. Some fonts are thicker than others. You have character spaceing. For example, Arial Narrow takes up less room than Arial and Arial black. I have come across some low vision individuals that only rquire thicker fonts and a little more spacing between the characters than normal.. Then their ar browser pixel differences. as far as I remember Internet Explorer defaults to a 12 point font and Firefox defaults to a 16 point font. Most people of all sight levels perfer a 14 to 16 pooinnt font. I am still trying how to get browsers default to a 16 point font and look the same in all browsers.

Angus MacKinnon
Keep On Trucking!