On 2009/06/22 12:58 (GMT+1000) James Ellis composed:

> Fonts : Nothing to stop anyone from specifying a font list and the generic
> family at the end of the list. That way you can aim for the font you like
> best, then the font which most people have (they may be the same) and then
> less common fonts you still want to display, then the family.
> e.g I did a site primarily for linux users and specified the font as:

> "DejuVu Sans Condensed",  FreeSans, Helvetica, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-
> serif;

> The first two are quite common on Linux (Liberation is also a good, open
> source, Verdana like font), Helvetica is a common Mac font, the last three
> pick up 99.9999% (tm) of the slack and sans-serif picks up those browsers
> without any of them installed.

> Once you get to sans-serif, you are at the mercy of  how the user or org has
> configured the browser for sans-serif display. Some may set it to Times
> Roman,
> some to Comic Sans. It'd be nice to try and avoid that ;)

To put what you wrote another way, with a font family list such as your
example, the visitor is at the designer's mercy to see only the designer's
choice of fonts, instead of the visitor's, even if the visitor has spent big
money on high quality but uncommon fonts and chosen as default one of them.
To actually see his choice, the visitor will have to set is browser to
completely ignore the designer's font choices throughout all documents.

Like Mark, I say let the visitor's choice be the choice applied to most
content, with the designer specifying otherwise only to highlight or provide
character, as in headings, emphasis, or menuing. On body at least, it should
be enough to specify either serif or sans-serif (partial deference to
visitor), or nothing at all (total deference to visitor). If the visitor
wants Comic Sans, let him have it. It's his puter, not yours.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/