Hi Linda,

Thanks for your suggestion. One thing very relevant that I have not
mentioned is that the content and sidebar need to appear below a
header of unknown height. I think this means absolute positioning is
not going to work. Sorry for not mentioning that.

Сергей Кириченко

Thanks for the links. I laughed really hard when I translated your
insult as well. It loses something in the translation, however :)

After a bit of fiddling I got the solution at
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/multicolumnlayouts/ to work
consistently across a few browsers. It is an interesting approach
which can provide equal height backgrounds for the content and sidebar
without faking it with a background image.

Not sure I would have found it with a search of any keywords I would
have used, however.

Thanks again.

Ben Davies