From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Kepler Gelotte
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:24 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] Strange Table Border Rendering in everything BUT FF and
IE

Hi,

What Chris wrote will take care of the border issue. I would suggest using a
structure other than a table though for guestbook entries. You could use a
definition list (other people on this list may disagree and have a more
semantic structure you could use).

For example, the CSS:

dl.guestBook
{
        font-size: 75%;
        border-top: 1px solid #9CA027;
        border-bottom: none;
        border-right: none;
        border-left: none;
        margin-bottom: 20px;
        padding-top: 15px;
}

dl.netherlands
{
        background: url('nl.jpg') 0 15px no-repeat;
}

dl.australia
{
        background: url('au.jpg') 0 15px no-repeat;
}

dl.guestBook dt, dl.guestBook dd
{
        text-align: left;
        border: none;
        padding: 0 0 0 15px;
        margin: 0 0 10px 64px;
}

dl.guestBook dt
{
        font-size: 1.4em;
        font-weight: bold;
        color: #2695c0;
}

dl.guestBook dd.loc_date,
dl.guestBook dd.rating
{
        color: #9CA027;
}

dl.guestBook dd.stars5
{
        background: url('5.jpg') 7em 0 no-repeat;
}

dl.guestBook dd.stars4
{
        background: url('4.jpg') 7em 0 no-repeat;
}

dl.guestBook dd.stars3
{
        background: url('3.jpg') 7em 0 no-repeat;
}

dl.guestBook dd.stars2
{
        background: url('2.jpg') 7em 0 no-repeat;
}

dl.guestBook dd.stars1
{
        background: url('1.jpg') 7em 0 no-repeat;
}

dl.guestBook dd.rating span
{
        display: none;
}

And the HTML:

<dl class="guestBook netherlands">
<dt>Susanne de Letter</dt>
<dd class="loc_date">Netherlands / September 23, 2009</dd>
<dd class="comment">Just want to send a quick email that I had a lovely stay
in the resort. Nice food, nice people and great diving. Even if you are a
single lady traveller like me it's a great place to stay.<br />
Hope it stopped raining? That the dogs are ok and that you didn't have any
exciting night dives with angry pearl fishers anymore.<br />
Say hi to Jo Jo and who knows maybe you see me back one day<br />
Thanks Susanne de Letter<br />
Amsterdam the Netherlands</dd>
</dl>

That's not perfect, but I can only imagine it is easier to view in a text
browser than the table version.

Best regards,

Kepler Gelotte
Neighbor Webmaster, Inc.