From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Paul Novitski
Sent: 17 February 2010 19:25
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Minimal forms or marking up a search field

>A practical distraction for the standardistas and accessibility gurus�
>
>Hoping tap your brain for an alternative perspective on the simple and
>common HTML scenario of a site search form.

To revisit this topic, I'm considering the
following and would appreciate feedback:
_________________________

a) Submit button as label:

<form ...>
       <input type="text" id="search" name="search" />
       <label for="search">
          <input type="submit" value="Search" />
       </label>
</form>
_________________________

b) Label hidden from view:

<form ...>
       <label for="search" id="search-label">Search:</label>
       <input type="text" id="search" name="search" />
       <input type="submit" value="Search" />
</form>

label#search-label
{
         position: absolute;
         left: -1000em;
}
_________________________

The rationale for both of these is that the
"Search" submit button serves as a clear and
unambiguous label for the input field. In listing
a) the button is literally the label; in b) there
is a separate literal label present in the markup
but hidden from cosmetic view.

Both validate for W3C HTML & Cynthia 528 & Accessibilty.

Can you see any problems with them?

I favor a) but it feels edgy.

Regards,

Paul
__________________________

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.
http://juniperwebcraft.com

This is a confidential email. Tesco may monitor and record all emails. The
views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not Tesco.

Tesco Stores Limited
Company Number: 519500
Registered in England
Registered Office: Tesco House, Delamare Road, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire EN8 9SL
VAT Registration Number: GB 220 4302 31