I think it's proprieatry-heading-to-standard-approach because it is bascially a
Safari Mini, and Safari is pretty close to standards.

It's apple and orange comparision to bring in old IE. Safari started out with
standard compliant path, IE was not. I see Safari Mini as the early Firefox
that brought the standard-compliant up to speed and lead the way in mobile web
browsers (Opera mini could have that chance in the place of mobile web history!
Opera Inc a software company obviously is at disadvantages), and Andriod
Chrome is the first Safari when Mac users finally had their browser that works,
and standard-compliant.

None of the mobile web devices was and still not - I have no comment for Opera
mini (is it just a mini size of Opera?) because I lack knowledge for this
device.  I visited hundred of sites from my itouch, all CSS layout sites are
browse-able, though many need the help of optimization to make them more
user-friendly and usable. Can we expect  similar result from Opera mini I am
curious?

I think this is pretty healthy!
http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad/

Compare with