On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Erickson, Kevin (DOE)
<kevin.erick...@doe.virginia.gov> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found an edgy “Chrome Only”, HTML5 development here,
> http://www.chromeexperiments.com/, called The Wilderness Down and am
> wondering if this wasteful, at this point in time, to develop an HTML5 site
> like http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/? If it is, how long is your ETA
> of when it will be the normal?

Well, since that page is actually a doctype of XHTML 1.0 Transitional
(not HTML5, although one could say it's HTML5 because it uses some
HTML5 tags but it's clearly XHTML 1.0) and that it doesn't work I'd
say it's wasteful.  However, is it wasteful to create a working site
in HTML5, depends on your audience and the type of content you need to
implement.  If it's a site like this one that suppose to be all rich
interactive (aka using the canvas tag) and has to work in IE6/7/8 then
it might be wasteful since you'd want to also create a flash version
to replace the canvas tag for those versions of browsers that don't
support the canvas tag yet.  However, for all other tags in HTML5 you
would be fine building a site with them today and not be wasteful.