Although the base site is XHTML it uses HTML5 in the extra windows. (which
you can still manipulate BTW)

As for wastefulness, it's effectively a music video, so think who their
audience is before answering that for yourself.

The HTML 5 issue is the creation of the video feed in near real-time from a
google maps / streetview reference and play that with several other vids
simultaneously using HTML5 (as opposed to the current common Flash platform)
code. Also, the collision and mouse detection without Flash is also of
interest.

It is an example of what can be expected from HTML 5 in the near future. For
cultural sites, there's a good reason to put HTML 5 on the table. Also for
example, kiosk experiences, where you get to control the platform. or for
mobile apps, where HTML5 can be a lighter drain on the processor.

So, as with most questions, the "wastefulness" can be measured by assessing
the audience, purpose, goals, platform and strategy first.

PS: it works in Safari as well.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Jason Arnold <jaon.arn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Erickson, Kevin (DOE)
> <kevin.erick...@doe.virginia.gov> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found an edgy “Chrome Only”, HTML5 development here,
> > http://www.chromeexperiments.com/, called The Wilderness Down and am
> > wondering if this wasteful, at this point in time, to develop an HTML5
> site
> > like http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/? If it is, how long is your
> ETA
> > of when it will be the normal?
>
> Well, since that page is actually a doctype of XHTML 1.0 Transitional
> (not HTML5, although one could say it's HTML5 because it uses some
> HTML5 tags but it's clearly XHTML 1.0) and that it doesn't work I'd
> say it's wasteful.  However, is it wasteful to create a working site
> in HTML5, depends on your audience and the type of content you need to
> implement.  If it's a site like this one that suppose to be all rich
> interactive (aka using the canvas tag) and has to work in IE6/7/8 then
> it might be wasteful since you'd want to also create a flash version
> to replace the canvas tag for those versions of browsers that don't
> support the canvas tag yet.  However, for all other tags in HTML5 you
> would be fine building a site with them today and not be wasteful.
>
> --

> Jason Arnold
> http://www.jasonarnold.net

====================================
This email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
Joseph Ortenzi
j...@joiz.com
j...@wheelyweb.com
+61 (0)434 047 804