> Ah, yes -- fun and games on the mobile device funny-farm...
>
> Long-shot on html5, try ?:
> @media screen and (max-device-width: 480px), screen and (max-width: 480px) {
> } /*for high-end handsets*/
>
> @media  (max-width: 240px) {
> } /*low-end handsets  running OperaMini */

Doesn't make a difference.

Before I put this issue at rest until I get a chance to setup the test site,
I'm adding one more possible cause for anyone who is interested in this bug to
ponder.

Will the media='all' affects how Opera Mini renders Desktop Doctype that it
ignores the @media screen and (max-device-width: 480px) rule?  Some sort of
specificity that media='all' overrules other media types including media
queries?

It's a WordPress site, I'd just noticed, the plugin stylesheet has a
media='all' declared which is  taken from WordPress  function
wp_enqueue_style(). The

Though a quick test removing the plugin style sheet doesn't seemed to make a
difference for me.

And a doctype question, will it be safe to use Mobile Doctype for desktop
browsers too? Part of the reason I decided to switch to HTML5 from XHTML Basic
1.1 was due to this question.

Quote myself: in the first round mobile browser check I didn't change it to
XHTML Basic 1.1, and I didn't see the horizontal scrolling bar.

I was wrong; obviously I didn't check carefully in the first round. It resulted
the same behavior. This new found bug of Opera Mini (and the Opera Mobile too)
makes me think perhaps it's not a prime time and is a very BAD idea to use
non-mobile doctype for mobile version of site as it added too much complication
and unexpected possible bugs. Sort of strengthen my though on media queries
alone cannot make a good usable mobile version of site. Alas!

tee