On 5 Sep 2010, at 23:53, tee wrote:

Sometimes next week I maybe able to setup a test site with pages that show different doctypes and widths.

Just a quick question, shouldn't Opera Mini obeys the rules even when a desktop doctype is used?

@media screen and (max-device-width: 480px)

Opera Mini doesn't support the viewport Meta element (yet). Opera Mobile does though. It is something Apple invented and isn't standardised (yet). We reverse engineered it for Opera Mobile, but there is some cases where it doesn't work exactly the same due to assumptions and the two step zoom. We are fixing those issues though and trying to standardise Viewport so it is consistent across browsers without having to make assumptions die to lack of a spec. We are looking to standardise it in CSS though, where it belongs (some people on the WG consider it to be like the font tag when used in HTML rather than CSS). For the initial proposal, look at http://people.opera.com/rune/TR/css-viewport/ . I expect we’ll support some form of viewport (be it element or CSS properties) in Opera Mini eventually. I can't say how soon (yet).

Without them, I would take what I saw isn't a bug. I am pretty sure it's more a HTML5 doctype issue than desktop doctype because when this site was created,

There shouldn't be a difference between a regular desktop doctype and the HTML5 one. It was designed so that it just works in current browsers, rather than browsers doing something special when they detect it.

I adapted a base template that uses XHTML 1.0 strict, in the first round mobile browser check I didn't change it to XHTML Basic 1.1, and I didn't see the horizontal scrolling bar (will remember to add it to my test). Since that this browser is intended for mobile devices, your reasoning is sound, but I guess developers won't be accepting it if we specifically tell the browser to follow the above rules.

Make me think maybe I should wait till 2022 to start using HTML5!

tee

Will the media='all' affects how Opera Mini renders Desktop Doctype that it ignores the @media screen and (max-device-width: 480px) rule? Some sort of specificity that media='all' overrules other media types including media queries?

No, it shouldn’t.

David Storey

Chief Web Opener / Product Manager, Opera Dragonfly
W3C WG:  Mobile Web Best Practices / SVG Interest Group

Opera Software ASA, Oslo, Norway
Mobile: +47 94 22 02 32 / E-Mail/XMPP: dsto...@opera.com / Twitter: dstorey