From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Jason Arnold
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 6:12 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] HTM5 Semantic markup overly done?

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:24 AM, tee <weblis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this example overly done?
> http://playground.html5rocks.com/#semantic_markup
>

>  <section id="articles">
>      <article>
>        <header>
>          <h2><a href="#">Article Title</a></h2>
>        </header>
>        <section>
>          Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
>        </section>
>      </article>
>
>      <article>
>        <header>
>          <h2><a href="#">Article Title</a></h2>
>        </header>
>        <section>giat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non
> proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
>        </section>
>      </article>
>
>    </section>

the only overly done part with the above example is the use of the
<section> tag inside the article.  I would use the <p> tag instead
like in your below example, but the rest is good.  Just remember that
<section> is defined in the spec as a "thematic grouping of content,
typically with a header" so you should also have a <header> in your
<section> unless it truly doesn't apply.

> I thought this is suffice but then I am not sure as these HTML5 tags are
> still too new for me.
>
>  <section id="articles">
>
>      <article>
>    </article>
>

>      <article>
>    </article>
>
>  </section>

This one is okay except, IMO, that you should wrap the <h2> in a
<header>.  Also just wanted to point out with HTML5 you can use all
<h1> tags in your articles instead of <h2>.

And honestly I think any of those ways would probably be okay