On 10/28/10 5:25 PM, Mathew Robertson wrote:
I'll stick my neck out and say... dont do it for the CSS bit...
specifically, you should be asking -> What is the point of adding a
specific class to html/body for a specific browser?  In particular,
using this technique discourages the whole "graceful degradation"
thing. And it adds complexity to the markup too, which doesn't
necessarily help your brain.

Its an idea which can be used, but that doesn't mean all ideas are
good ideas...

Okay. A specific scenario:
I use RGBa backgrounds quite a lot. IE prior to v.9 supports RGBa
"backgrounds" via its gradient filter. How, without using conditional
comments at all, do I target IE 6,7, and 8, bearing in mind that the
solid background color I give very old browsers must be removed from
these versions of IE?

IMHO, adding classes to the HTML tag this way is far cleaner than using
a number of IE-only style sheets, and the complexity all those
conditional comments add to the markup as well...

Cordially,
David