Hi David,

>> How, without using conditional comments at all, do I target IE 6,7, and 8

> I was asking how I'd be able to target all three *without* any CCs.

Add an extra script line?

<script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*/var
isIE=/*...@cc_on!@*/false;document.documentElement.className+="
isIE";/*]]>*/</script>

Not perfect but adequate for most cases.

>> .gradientBg {...

> Sorry, mate. That won't work. All IEs will get the solid background with the
> filter "image" on top. Not what you'd want at all... :(

I'll admit that snippet was untested but you can see a working example here:

        http://websemantics.co.uk/online_tools/image_to_data_uri_convertor/

The "Browse" and "Convert image" are pure CSS.
Background gradients appear to work fine in IE6+, Firefox and Safari.
Untested in Opera though so please tell me if the button doesn't degrade well.

I considered the methods too clunky for use in production though.

Regards

Mike Foskett
http://websemantics.co.uk/