First time I have come across the first convention you outline Sam, but it
is an interesting proposition.

I have a feeling that it is a better way (in the long term) to treat
content, rather than having a mobile specific site.

However, sticking an MP extension onto a page name is arguably nothing
different to having that MP as a subdomain indicator (e.g.
example.com/mp/page.html instead of example.com/pagemp.html).

BBC also seems to mix in stuff like this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/index.html

I don't think that currently there are 'generally accepted' ways of handling
mobile content. There are at least 3 ways in which I can think people will
handle mobile stuff right now and they are all as common as anything else.

Thanks,

Jason

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Sam Dwyer <dwyer....@abc.net.au> wrote:

>  Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to handle mobile versions
> of content? Specifically arguments for and against how the BBC handles
> different formats – including mobile, simply by appending a format type to
> the end of a canonical url.
>
> Ie.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007rsj5 is the base url
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007rsj5.mp is the mobile version
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007rsj5.xml is the same data in xml
> format
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007rsj5.rdf is the rdf representation of
> the data
>

> VS the generally accepted alternative to doing mobile which is to provide a
> different domain, such as mob. Or m.
>
> Ie.
>
> http://m.smh.com.au/
>
> http://m.abc.net.au/
>

> Anyone have any thoughts on pros/cons of the two methodologies? Just
> curious to see if anyone else has implemented the BBC method?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Sam Dwyer
>

>  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>
> The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential
> and may contain legally privileged or copyright material. It is intended
> only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient
> of this email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this
> email or any attachments. If you have received this message in error, please
> notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. The
> ABC does not represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus
> free. Before opening any attachment you should check for viruses. The ABC's
> liability is limited to resupplying any email and attachments.

Jason Grant BSc, MSc
CEO, Flexewebs Ltd.
www.flexewebs.com
ja...@flexewebs.com