Although the most interesting aspect of BBC mobile content esp. for
complex script languages is the choice between a textual version and an
image version:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/mobile/india/2010/11/101114_raja_resign_final_skj.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/mobile/image/india/2010/11/101114_raja_resign_final_skj/

Since mobile devices are years behind desktops and laptops in text
rendering capabilities.

On 15/11/2010 12:22 PM, Jason Grant wrote:
> First time I have come across the first convention you outline Sam, but
> it is an interesting proposition.
>
> I have a feeling that it is a better way (in the long term) to treat
> content, rather than having a mobile specific site.
>
> However, sticking an MP extension onto a page name is arguably nothing
> different to having that MP as a subdomain indicator (e.g.
> example.com/mp/page.html <http://example.com/mp/page.html> instead of
> example.com/pagemp.html <http://example.com/pagemp.html>).
>
> BBC also seems to mix in stuff like
> this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/index.html
>
> I don't think that currently there are 'generally accepted' ways of
> handling mobile content. There are at least 3 ways in which I can think
> people will handle mobile stuff right now and they are all as common as
> anything else.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason
>
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Sam Dwyer <dwyer....@abc.net.au
> <mailto:dwyer....@abc.net.au>> wrote:
>
>     Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to handle mobile
>     versions of content? Specifically arguments for and against how the
>     BBC handles different formats – including mobile, simply by
>     appending a format type to the end of a canonical url.
>
>     Ie.
>
>     http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007rsj5 is the base url
>
>     http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007rsj5.mp is the mobile version
>
>     http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007rsj5.xml is the same data in xml
>     format
>
>     http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007rsj5.rdf is the rdf
>     representation of the data
>

>     VS the generally accepted alternative to doing mobile which is to
>     provide a different domain, such as mob. Or m.
>
>     Ie.
>
>     http://m.smh.com.au/
>
>     http://m.abc.net.au/
>

>     Anyone have any thoughts on pros/cons of the two methodologies? Just
>     curious to see if anyone else has implemented the BBC method?
>

>     Cheers,
>
>     Sam Dwyer
>

>     Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>
>     The information contained in this email and any attachment is
>     confidential and may contain legally privileged or copyright
>     material. It is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If
>     you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are not
>     permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or any
>     attachments. If you have received this message in error, please
>     notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your
>     system. The ABC does not represent or warrant that this transmission
>     is secure or virus free. Before opening any attachment you should
>     check for viruses. The ABC's liability is limited to resupplying any
>     email and attachments.

> --
> Jason Grant BSc, MSc
> CEO, Flexewebs Ltd.
> www.flexewebs.com <http://www.flexewebs.com>
> [...]

Andrew Cunningham
Senior Project Manager, Research and Development
Vicnet
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000