Hi tee,

I played a bit around with your examples, didn't find a good answer yet why the browsers are rendering it that way, but I can tell that it is not a [padding-top|bottom] issue. It is rather like a white space as the space above is exactly like adding a [ ] and it stays the same even for [padding-left or padding-right 1px or 100px], but [white-space: no-wrap] didn't help. Firefox displays it correctly, if you remove the [display:block] from the image and make both inline-elements again. The other solutions is to make the A-tag a block level element by giving it a [display: inline-block|block]. All browsers seem to like that!

Hope that helps and that maybe someone else has an answer for this inline-elements vs. block-level-elemets behaviour ;)

Cheerio,
Albert