I remember seeing this for the first time. I was asked by a backend engineer
to help them fix a layout issue in a data table. When I looked at the source
code, the page was a jumble of absolutely positioned cells to look like a
data table. I shook my head and said he was on his own. I wasn't about to
wade into that mess.

Positioned divs would be completely inaccessible. It would be a string of
numbers with no context to what they mean.

YUI makes a great data table module.
http://yuilibrary.com/yui/docs/datatable/
You can easily make your data table sortable, generate charts, make it super
accessible and more. You can't do the same with positioned divs.

ted