Thanks for the sanity check everyone :)
I was worried that I'd missed something.

I'd seen the YUI table module, thanks Ted, and I know of at least two jQuery
plugins that do the same thing so yeah, I'm not sure why they wouldn't use one
of those.
They're saying it's faster to use divs compared to just tables, Hassan, but
with the amount of extra code required it seems counter-productive. I'll see if
I can get you an example. The grid is mostly hard-coded, but each row/cell is
created dynamically so i'm not sure what the advantage is -- more investigation
required!

And no laughing please, this is serious <giggle />