From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Russ Weakley
Sent: Monday, 5 March 2012 4:47 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] list heading - best practice?

> <h1 id="list_title">The list title<h1>
> <ul aria-labelledby="list_title">
> <li>...</li>
> </ul>
> That way the semantic connection between the list and the heading is kept
> which I think is the purpose of what you're wanting, yes?
> Cheers,

I hate to nit-pick, but I'd argue that the aria-labelledby does not really
change the semantics of an element. The "semantics" of an element is about
defining the element's "core meaning". The core meaning of an <h1> is that it
is a level 1 heading.

In the case above, the labelledby attribute "exposes" the content inside the
heading (via the accessibility API) and associating this content with the
unordered list.

So, these elements will now have additional meaning for Assistive Devices that
support ARIA. However, the attribute does not change the "core meaning" of
either of the elements.

Does this make sense?
Russ

 -

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and
may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only for
the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or
any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not
represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free. Before
opening any attachment you should check for viruses. The ABC's liability is
limited to resupplying any email and attachments.