From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of Mathew Robertson
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 5:22 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] list heading - best practice?

For this example:

<h1>some title</h1>

<ul>

  <li>blah</li>

  <li>boo</li>

</ul>

... any ARIA attributes are completely not required...  <h?> tag, by
definition, already titles the following content, simply by being in the
same proximity, aka <h?> preceding some other content.

The primary purpose of "labelled-by" appears to be to semantically link an
given element to another; since proximity already gives you that
behaviour, this use-case for this attribute would be when proximity isn't
available, for example, say when something within a footer which
references content from within the body.

Aside... I never understood why "labelled-by" came into existence... there
is already an attribute "for" which has essentially the same semantics...
just promote "for" to be a global attribute.  Thoughts?

Mathew Robertson