Hi Greg,

About a possible common library:

>> I would like to see any common libraries built with CMake, this is
>> because CMake has powerful tools for exporting library code for use in
>> other CMake built projects. This doesn't make them any less useful for
>> non-CMake projects.
> Unless you plan on coveting WSJT and / or WSPR over to Cmake, I
> wouldn’t' want to deal with this at all, WSPR may not factor in, but
> still. The builds for those two packages are already hybrids, adding a
> third layer would compound things further. I'm sure there is a long list
> of reasons why X is better that Y, but, seems to me, there are plenty of
> fish to fry, so no urgent need to go throw a line in the water :-)

It may not need to be very complicated.  A simple CMakeLists.txt (or a
simple Makefile) can build the library, say libpackmsg.a, from sources
moved into a new branch.  Building the library would be a prerequisite
to building the programs, and would be managed by the CMakeLists.txt
file (WSJT-X and MAP65) or Makefile.jtsdk (WSJT).

> I certainly see the benefits of having a common library set, but if
> that's to be done, do them all, not just one or two for a particular
> need. Clearly a roadmap of some kind could be beneficial here, maybe
> include long term integration plans for all the apps, if that is on the
> cards.

It's mainly the message packing and unpacking that needs to be
consistent across all three programs.  As you say, there is other
potentially common code as well; but the benefits of making all of that
code uniform across all programs are much smaller.

> A few months back, 6+ or so, I tried to do some commonality checks
> between the different .F90 / .f90 files. I found allot of delta's, but I
> had no way of knowing which file was truth, so, kinda of gave up on that
> adventure. I think this would be benifical for sure, but do them all,
> and publish the libs.

Those deltas, of course, are the main motivation for maintaining a
single set of source files.

        -- Joe, K1JT