Hi Bill and Greg,

> Of course you are correct but I see Greg's point too. I expect he is
> concerned about the complexities of delivering an application on Linux
> for example where the whole thing must be built from sources plus
> existing packages. A statement like "Building the library would be a
> prerequisite to building the program ..." is not trivial in the package
> building world because the prerequisite build has to be part of the
> product build. This is because the only binary inputs to the packaging
> process allowed are other already in place packages.
>
> We have just attacked that same problem for WSJT-X where an autoconf
> based hamlib build must be aggregated with the CMake WSJT-X build.
> Fortunately in that case CMake provides the tools as we have
> demonstrated with the new wsjtx-superbuild project. The same probably
> isn't true of an autoconf based project which I believe some of our
> applications are.
> I can see a few other possibilities like rig control, location, distance
> and, bearing functions.

No need to rush into this.

When I find time, I'll make a list of all routines that are common to
WSJT, MAP65, and WSJT-X and probably should be identical in all three
programs.  (Probably not rig control, since neither WSJT not MAP65 does
this; but there are many others...)

Then I'll look into why they are presently different, and what needs to
be done to remove the differences.

        -- Joe