Hi Bill,

Yes, there are many possible ways to take advantage of FFTW's wisdom
capability.  I've been using it for some years now -- both for
professional research purposes and in MAP65, which processes a 96 KHz
signal bandwidth in each of two polarizations and thus has much higher
CPU demands.

It's well worth the effort required to implement wisdom, especially with
large FFTs whose lengths are not powers of two.

There's no speed advantage to accumulating wisdom within the executing
program(s) rather than beforehand.  Having it done once at program
installation has worked well in MAP65.  It's true, though, that for
MAP65 I was not particularly worrying about installers on OS X.

I've implemented wisdom the other way, as well -- which in this case
means importing/exporting it from within wsjtx[.exe] and jt9[.exe].
Given your comments about complicating the installers, I'll try doing it
that way before going on to other things.

        -- Joe