On 13/06/2015 09:18, Guy G4DWV/4X1LT wrote:

Hi Guy,
> Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> writes:
>
>> It looks like you are trying to install WSJT-X in C:\Program Files
>> (x86)\, if so why?
>>> Mni tnx,
>> 73
>> Bill
>> G4WJS.
> I have always installed WSJT-X there without any issues until this recent
> one. I have all my programs installed in the respective Programs Files
> folders also without any issues. I want all my programs installed in those
> locations. I have dealt with the ownership and permissions issues to allow
> this. It just makes things much more tidy and logical ;-).
Since Microsoft started using the NTFS file system, installing software
into the "Program Files (x86)" or "Program FIles" on x86_64 systems is
not a good idea unless the application specifically needs the elevated
privileges granted by by being there. These folders are special and are
intended for system level applications that are not part of the
operating system. WSJT-X is not a system level application, it is a pure
user level application and as such should be installed in a normal
folder, the choice is yours but the installer recommends C:\WSJT\wsjtx .

Installing an application into one of the special program files folders
means that application has access to things that it does not need and
should not have access to. Only install applications into the special
program files folders if the installation instructions give a good
reason to do so.

If you have other applications that interact with WSJT-X like JTAlert
you are going to get into trouble if one is in a special programs files
folder and the other not. You must be consistent with cooperating
programs and outside of the special program files folders is the correct
option unless advised otherwise.