Hi Alan,

This issue seems a bit different for Fedora. I've not specifically
checked / monitored RES and VIRT growth on later versions of
Debian/Ubuntu, and I'm fairly certain it was only the Horizontal
waterfalls causing the crashes. To date, I've not had to work around any
other version of PIL other than 2.6.x.

Just for completeness, have you built / tried WSPR (python3 version) on
Fedora-21?

Sorry I can't be more help on this one at the moment.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

On 06/29/2015 07:26 PM, Alan VK2ZIW wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Not quite resolved yet....
>
> I did "yum remove python3-pillow" which removed both:
>
> python3-pillow
> python3-pillow-tk
>
> and did "pip3 install -I pillow==2.8.2"
> (2.8.2 is the latest)
>
> Still, the same crash in "fast" modes, JTMS etc..
>

> So, let's try 2.7.0 of "pillow"
>
> pip3 uninstall pillow
> pip install -I pillow==2.7.0
>
> Sorry, WSJT still crashes.
>
> "top" shows the process grows to "RES" > 1Gb in about 2 mins.
>
> So, let's try 2.5.3 of "pillow"
>
> pip3 uninstall pillow
> pip install -I pillow==2.5.3
>
> Now, WSJT in JTMS mode is much much better. "top" still shows
> a slow memory growth (RES and VIRT).
>
> ====== The original Fedora 20 problem ===============
>
> Any mode, as soon as a Waterfall window was drawn, crash.
>
> That does not happen. This is a new problem.
> WSJT does draw waterfalls, both types.  Vertical ones gobble memory.
>
> 80
>
> Alan VK2ZIW
>

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:25:55 -0600, KI7MT wrote
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> It appears, Fedora 21 is using python3-pillow 2.6.2 according to RPM
>> find. Pillow 2.6.x has been problematic on several distros I've used
>> / tested. The problems seems to be isolated to those using Pillow
>> v2.6.x ( Debian Jessie, Ubuntu 15.04, etc. ). Distro's using earlier
>> or latter versions of Pillow do not exhibit the same problem.
>>
>> To resolve this on Debian / Ubuntu, I installed the Pillow build
>> dependencies then installed ( compiled ) the latest version of
>> Pillow via Pip3.
>>
>> FWIW, Here's what I used for Jessie / Utopic:
>> * Open a termainl, Ctrl+Alt+T
>> * sudo apt-get update
>> * sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-dev libjpeg-dev liblcms2-dev
>> libtiff5-dev libwebp-dev libwebpmux1 mime-support tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-
>> dev zlib1g-dev * sudo pip3 install --upgrade pillow
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure if the real root cause is Pillow or the
>> combination of Pillow 2.6.x being built against tcl/tk 8.5 or not.
>> But building form Source ( using pip3 ) against tcl/tk-8.6 seems to
>> resolve the horizontal display crashes on Jessie and Utopic.
>>
>> 73's
>> Greg, KI7MT
>>
>> On 6/29/2015 6:14 AM, Alan VK2ZIW wrote:
>>> Hi Joe and Bill,
>>>
>>> I compiled WSJT SVN r5635 on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x86_64 box and
>>> yes, the "fast" modes JTMS etc do not crash and do not gobble memory.
>>>
>>> So, I guess, Fedora 21 uses later Python etc. libraries.
>>>
>>> Earlier this year, when Fedora 21 first came out for ARMv7 (Pi and clones)
>>> I did compile up WSJT, but obviously did not adequately test it.
>>> I tested it today and the "fast" modes crash in the same way as
>>> the Intel architecture.
>>>
>>> As I see it, "Fedora" is THE "Red Hat" linux flavour.
>>>
>>> They (Fedora) put a LOT of work into the ARM platform.
> [...]

Launchpad....: https://launchpad.net/~ki7mt
Ubuntu Hams..: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-hams-devel
Debian Hams..: https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-hamradio/
JTSDK........: https://sourceforge.net/projects/jtsdk/
OpenPGP......: C177 6630 7115 78FE 9A2B 9F7F 18C0 F6B7 0DA2 F991