Hi Joe -
I will likely not make much progress on the decoder stuff til next week, so I
wanted to pass along the following information in case that you get around to
doing some tests — I’ve tested the decoder on 2 separate batches of HF .wav
files and also on 3 batches of SimJT weak-signal gaussian-noise no-fading files
at SNR’s -23, -24, -25.

For the SimJT weak-signal cases, I find that the using the most reliable symbol
probability (p1) as the metric for deciding on erasure probabilities works
better than using the difference (p1-p2), where p2 is the second-best symbol
probability. In fact, using the difference is no better than no metric (no
metric means setting all erasure frequency probabilities equal to 0.6).

On the other hand, the situation is reversed on the HF files - the difference
(p1-p2) works best for both batches of HF files.

The next step for me will be to see if I can figure out to better utilize the
symbol quality information, and to devise a metric that is “best” in both
cases. In the meantime, you may want to just use p1 or p2-p1 as appropriate.

Here’s a brief summary of some more results.
Using SimJT, 1000 JT65A files, and sfrsd with 10000 trials and p1 as metric:
-25 dB SNR - kvasd 3/1000, sfrsd 2/1000
-24 dB SNR: kvasd decodes 198/1000, sfrsd 182/1000
-23 dB SNR: kvasd decodes 835/1000, sfrsd 840/1000

Steve k9an