Hi Bill,

I was about to reply, but I see that you have now found the discrepancy
between User Guide and program action.

>> What is not working?
> Ah OK, I see the discrepancy against the User Guide where the generated
> reply to a CQ call is not a type 1 compound call message. IIRC this was
> done because a change was made such that a type 1 compound call user
> would have a standard message with their base call sign flagged as for
> them i.e. red background to the decode. Therefore the grid need not be
> dropped since a standard message suffices. The final 73 from the
> replying station uses the full compound call sign to indicate that the
> correct call is being logged. Another change at the same time ensured
> that the correct call is logged by the replying station.

Probably I should have caught this before, but was not paying close
enough attention.

I think it's important for the program to generate messages as the User
Guide describes for Type 1 compound callsigns.  Especially important for
VHF and up, for historical reasons.  Conventions there for what makes a
valid QSO are rather more stringent than those in use at HF, and a few
in the anti-digital, CW-at-any-cost fringe fuss endlessly about it.
These guys certainly don't consider the following to be a valid QSO,
although it's considered perfectly OK at HF:

CQ HC8N
          K1ABC
K1JT 599
          599 TU
73 HC8N

They're likely also to be unhappy with the following sequence:

CQ K1ABC/VE1 FN75
                     K1ABC G0XYZ IO91
G0XYZ K1ABC –19
                     K1ABC G0XYZ R–22
G0XYZ K1ABC RRR
                     K1ABC/VE1 73

because final Rogers were sent before both full callsigns have been
copied by both operators.  K1ABC confirmed a valis QSO without having
copied his own full callsign.

By HF standards this is a complete non-issue.  Moreover, it may be the
best we can do for Type 2 compound callsigns.  But for peace of mind I
think we should advocate using it only when necessary.

        -- Joe, K1JT