On 20/01/2016 14:24, Michael Black wrote:
> Isn't that all digital gain?  Wouldn't you want that closer to zero?
> I see the ingain getting passed to symspec and hspec_ so what is the
> purpose of changing the scale inside symspec?
> Does this linear rescaling in symspec really matter?
Hi Mike,

the gain slider ranges from -50 to +50 so the middle is zero.

Yes the scaling matters for the waterfall and spectrum plot. It is
applied to the sum of the squares of the samples before calculating the
overall RMS power for the thermometer meter. It is also applied to each
waterfall/spectrum bin in the frequency domain before the flattening
algorithm is applied.

I do not think either of the above are linear adjustments, they both
amount to multiplication I believe.

OTOH the decoder gets whatever arrives in the audio stream, no gain
adjustment is made, so if you are having to move the WSJT-X gain slider
up above half way to get a power/waterfall display then you are probably
not providing enough level to the ADC, or as in your case you are
dividing the samples in the digital domain. Either way you are
increasing the quantization error contribution to the signal to noise
ratio of the wanted signals.

Depending on the AGC capability of your rig or, the way you have set the
RF gain if you disable the AGC, you need to maximize the level to the
ADC but keep it short of clipping. The output of the ADC should not be
attenuated with a digital volume control as that decreases resolution
and increases errors for no benefit whatsoever.

As I said above, there is no point dividing the samples (reducing the
volume) in any intermediate digital stage as it will reduce the
resolution and increase the quantization error contribution.