I'll run some tests comparing the Xonar to SiganLink with the Xonar a few
points to see if it makes any difference.

In my world multiplication is a linear adjustment.  The relative level
between points is exactly the same regardless of level.
1,2,3,4,5 - y=mx+b = y=1x+0
2,4,6,8,10 y=mx+b = y=2x+0
2nd vector is 2X the first.
If you take the 1st differential of each signal you get 1 for the first and
2 for the second on each value.  The second vector is simply 2X the
first....linear rescaling.
You can fit both with a line slope formula...a line...ergo the difference
between them must be linear since you can fit a linear function to both
with just a change in the slope.
A non-linear scaling (like log) would not produce a constant value on the
1st differential.
So I don't see how the scaling helps SNR or quantization since that should
be unaffected by linear rescaling....
And since the decode is done in floats there shouldn't be any quantization
produced by dividing or multiplying.

Do I misunderstand this area -- I don't claim to know how the decoder works
well enough to understand the details.

RRR
Mike W9MDB