From: Bill Somerville [mailto:g4...@classdesign.com]
Sent: 07 May 2016 10:26
To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] WSJT-X for eme?

On 07/05/2016 08:39, Mark Turner (EI3KD) wrote:
> is it intended that the next incarnation of WSJT-X might be used for
> EME? If so, it might be appropriate to look at the messages created by
> "Generate Std Msgs", which currently seem fixed to the terrestrial
> format. I couldn't find a way to change that behaviour but I might have
> missed it.
>
> Probably as a consequence of the above, I noticed that with Dx Call set
> to EA6/PA2CHR the generated messages from Tx 2 upwards only get filled
> with PA2CHR (i.e. the EA6/ is stripped).
>
> Tests done usinf 6674 with VHF features enabled, JT65 only, submode B.
> Decoding works great, by the way!

Hi Mark,

most definitely yes WSJT-X v1.7 is intended to replace WSJT for many of
the modes WSJT offers for VHF & up working including EME. For the VHF
bands the new FT JT65 decoder described in Steve and Joe's QEX article
(available here http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/refs.html as
#25). This decoder has been parametrized and tuned for both weak signal
and HF working. For the microwave bands the wider JT65 modes have been
optimized to cope with signal spreading. Work is still ongoing improving
averaging and hinted decoding for even better sensitivity on the weakest
signals.

With respect to the standard messages only a specified subset of all
possible compound call prefixes and suffixes are encodable as standard
messages, the so called type 1 and type 2 compound callsigns. Even with
those the prefix or suffix cannot be included in all of the standard
message forms so the generated messages you see are the best that are
available and designed such that a QSO may be completed correctly with
the full compound callsign being sent and confirmed within the normal
exchanges.

Short code messages are being implemented for the JT65 mode, JT4 already
has these in WSJT-X. These allow QSOs in one to one sked situations to
be completed in the most marginal of conditions.

A lot of the current effort with WSJT-X is aimed at making WSJT-X a tool
familiar to both HF and VHF & up operators with some of the convenient
new features developed for HF and a slicker user interface while still
looking familiar to WSJT users.

The is also more support for reflection type propagation or other
unstable condition modes using fast repeating codes. One of which is
JTMSK which is targeted mainly at 6m MS users adding FEC for robust and
accurate decoding. There is also a lot of research going on looking for
a better FEC type mode for reflection modes where pings are much shorter
and therefore harder to utilize using a typical USB IF filter bandwidth.