From: Jim Brown
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:04 PM
To: WSJT software development
Subject: [wsjt-devel] Bad Decodes On Second Pass

Hi Team,

For several weeks, I've been letting WSJT-X rc3 run overnight on 160M
while I sleep, and tabulating the decodes the next day. I've been quite
pleasantly surprised by the activity -- in less than a month, I've
decoded about 450 different stations running JT65 or JT9. More than a
dozen are from outside North America, about half of those from western EU.

The reason for this post is that I've also seen a half dozen or so
decodes that appear to be false. Looking more closely, I see that most
are second decodes finding the signal underneath another one that
decodes correctly.

I haven't done enough analysis to say that ALL second decodes are bogus,
but nearly all of the bogus decodes are on second passes. On each of
them, I can't find the call on qrz.com, the call often doesn't make
sense, and the time of day doesn't support propagation to me (near San
Francisco) from the received grid square. BUT -- the grid square usually
roughly correlates with the country associated with the call (which is
usually a non-standard prefix for that country).

73, Jim K9YC