I never learned exactly how debian/ubuntu checks dependencies, so please excuse this possibly silly question.

In some cases, might it not be possible simply to do:

ln -s libread5 libread6  (??)

I've encountered other situations where the only important difference between the old and newer packages was the filename.

... Rich    W2RG