From: Bill Somerville [mailto:g4...@classdesign.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:18 AM
To: WSJT software development <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [wsjt-devel] WSJT-X: How to handle using RR73 as a final message

Hi All,

we are looking at changing the WSJT-X logic such that a grid message of the
form:

"<dx-call> <de-call> RR73"

is treated as a sign off message.

This has several implications and I need some clarification so that I can
adjust the code. For now I will put aside any potential issues for holders
of compound callsigns as I have not analysed the impact for them yet.

The first change is already in place, sending such an RR73 message is
treated the same as sending a standard 73 message or any free text message
containing the word "73". This means that, if prompt to log after 73 is set
the log QSO window will be popped up, and if
"Settings->General->Behavior->Disable Tx after 73" is checked, auto transmit
will be disabled and the next message to be sent will be moved on to Tx6 (CQ
message). This part is straightforward.

I propose to add a check box option to "Settings->General->Behavior"
along the lines of "Use RR73 in place of RRR", when checked this would
generate the above RR73 message for the Tx4 (RRR) message, thus formalizing
the usage of RR73 as a final QSO message.

So now the questions. If we have disabled auto Tx and switched the next
message to Tx6/CQ, how do we proceed if no "73" message is received from
ones QSO partner. Listening on the bands it seems that sending an RR73
message has some special significance in that it is always assumed to be
received by ones QSO partner. This may be reasonable in propagation such
that any subsequent messages can be taken by ones QSO partner to mean that
the QSO is indeed complete even if the RR73 message was never decoded.

For example if you have called a station calling CQ, received a report, sent
a R+report and then get no decode from them in the next period; then the
next decode from the other station is a CQ call or them giving a report to a
different station or even calling another station on a different frequency,
then are we safe to assume that our QSO was complete and there is no
requirement to repeat the R+report message (the normal action if an RRR
message is not decoded) or even send a 73 message ourselves? BTW this does
beg the question of how a station running a frequency completes their last
QSO on a band, do we take silence to be an indication that a missed RR73
decode was in fact sent.

The above is fairly easy to implement in that, if an RR73 message is
received from ones QSO partner ones next message will be set to Tx5/73 (note
not RR73) and if prompt to log is checked the log QSO window will pop up.
Also if "Settings->General->Behavior->Disable Tx after 73" is checked, auto
transmit will be disabled. In other words, receiving an
RR73 message will be treated exactly the same as receiving a 73 message
(note this would not be optional).

Note the implication of the above is that no reply would be sent to an
RR73 message if one is received. I suppose this is the intent of the
original calling station and they might expect a tail-end caller to utilize
the period after they send RR73 without you QRMing such a caller by sending
a 73 message. This raises an issue of what to do when an expected RRR or
RR73 message is not received or decoded since it is impossible to know if
the original caller received ones R+report message, or whether they sent RRR
and are expecting a 73 message, or whether they repeated their report and
are expecting an R+report message, or they actually sent RR73 and expect
that the QSO is over. How can the software and indeed the operator deal with
this scenario? It would seem that resending the R+report message is the only
deterministic option which makes a mockery of any assumption that RR73
messages are always decoded.

More questions to follow once I have a feel for how this is expected to
work. I do not really want a debate on the merits of this common tactic to
speed up QSOs, just the mechanics of how it should work.