On 20/07/2017 14:27, Black Michael via wsjt-devel wrote:
although if autoseq detects the RR73 as the prompt to log means they likely have logged it already which I think is not what should be done.

HI Mike,

there seems to be an aversion to logging a QSO before your QSO partner can, I don't see why this is a constraint. I have no problem with a one way QSOs going into my log, if I don't get a confirmation for it then there is no problem. Maybe in these days of electronic confirmations I am biased by the zero cost of the above strategy.

Surely logging one side of a QSO as complete and sending sufficient replies allowing a QSO partner to do the same are not the same thing, they are different events in time. I would happily log a QSO at the point I decide to send the first R whether it be R+report or RRR, but that does not obviate me of the need to finish the QSO allowing my QSO partner to do the same.

If I sent QSL cards for every QSO, I would probably un-check the send paper QSL option in my log for QSOs where I didn't have confirmation of a complete QSO, i.e. no RRR copied. That doesn't stop my QSO partner sending me a card to which I will then reply since unbeknownst to me he actually had a R+report from me and the QSO was complete two-way. If he sends a speculative card then he will not have my report and also I couldn't care less about sending him a card if he happens to guess the report correctly, it is down to him if he feels that he needs to cheat to get my QSL card.

It seems to me that the practise of sending RR73 is in line with the above and clearly works when used judiciously when propagation allows extra confidence of likely receipt.

One station logging a QSO is not the same as a QSO being complete. A QSO is complete when *both stations* can log the QSO and if they do, and only then, both may claim credit for the complete QSO.