HI Rich,

comments in line below.

On 08/09/2017 16:30, Rich - K1HTV wrote:

Instead, what happens when the "Disable Tx after 73" box is UNCHECKED is that a long series of Tx5 "73" messages is sent at the end of a QSO. They continue to be sent until they are manually stopped. I see no benefit of the box even being there, unless I'm missing something as to what it is supposed to do.

I suspect you are only looking at this when using FT8 auto-sequencing, this is a very narrow view of the overall WSJT-X functionality. Many users operate on marginal propagation paths or with brief random short reflections like MS or other scatter modes. With these sending multiple 73 messages is common unless there is a"back channel" like an Internet sked forum to inform of successful QSO completion.

Why not hard code the disabling of further transmissions after a Tx5 (73) message is sent and eliminate the "Disable Tx after 73" check box completely?

See above.

We have chosen to ignore this setting being unchecked when F8 auto-sequencing is active, if we honoured the setting there would be nothing to stop a station being left unattended to work anyone who replied until the computer crashed or the aerial fell down, and the latter probably wouldn't stop it either given the sensitivity of FT8.

So we will keep the option because it is useful to many and we will not take it away just because it doesn't get honoured in one mode with specific operating behaviour.