I can now report that on my older MacBookPro 8,2 (early 2011) laptop
running OS X Mavericks 10.9.5, this problem no longer occurs.

However, I noticed in some earlier postings on the WSJT list, there
was some speculation that this might be caused by some interaction
between the SiLabs CP210x USB serial port driver and the USB codec
driver. I have seen messages in the log like this that indicate the
possible presence of this problem:

9/24/17 11:22:49.000 kernel[0]: WARNING: AppleUSBAudio has detected
that a connected USB audio device is sending too much audio data.
9/24/17 11:22:49.000 kernel[0]: WARNING: This USB audio device may not
function properly. Please notify the device manufacturer.

The newest versions of that driver (5.0 and later) were updated for OS
X 10.11 and later. Anyone trying this trick on OS X 10.10 and earlier
would have to use the earlier 4.x versions of the SiLabs driver, so it
may have more to do with the SiLabs driver than the OS X version?

I'm contemplating bumping up to Yosemite (OS X 10.10) and seeing what happens.

73,

--
Larry Gadallah, VE6VQ/W7                          lgadallah AT gmail DOT com
PGP Sig: B5F9 C4A8 8517 82AC 16B6  02B6 0645 69F0 1F29 A512